Next Social Action meeting:
Wednesday, March 4, 2020 in the music room.
The Social Action committee provides the Temple Judea community with opportunities to practice Tikkun Olam and lend a helping hand in the neighborhood and beyond. We coordinate hands-on activities and work with multiple community partners to offer support to those in need.
Social Action is committed to healing the world through events and projects benefiting our community. Our impact is immediate and ranges from our backyard to across the world.Social Action works within:
- our own temple community, when we do projects around campus or support our own congregants and their families.
- the San Fernando Valley community, when we donate supplies and cook meals for Hope of the Valley Rescue Mission or bring visitors to the Jewish Home.
- the Southern California community, when we provide backpacks full of school supplies to School on Wheels or decorate delivery bags for Project Chicken Soup.
- the larger Jewish community, when we send books to Chai Lifeline in New York or make comfort objects for Save a Child’s Heart in Israel.
- the global community, when we participate in activities sponsored by Jewish World Watch and Operation Gratitude.
SERVING BBQ LUNCHES AT HOPE OF THE VALLEY MISSION
This activity takes place at a church location in Van Nuys. A volunteer "captain" gathers a group of 8-10 adults (plus kids are welcome) and purchases food that morning at Smart & Final. The volunteer group prepares the bbq lunch on site at the church, serves the attendees their meal, and cleans up. The costs is approximately $330 for food, $150 for security. We would appreciate your generosity, but cost should not be a barrier to participation in this activity -- if you do not want to make that kind of donation, we can match you with funding.
Available dates are Saturday January 25, Saturday, February 22, and Saturday, March 21. Please contact Michael Opell at .
VOLUNTEERING AT MEND
This activity takes place at the MEND center in Pacoima. Volunteers must be a minimum age of 11 and will work either in the food bank, farmer's market, or clothing department on site in their building. Please wear closed-toe shoes. There is no cost associated with this project.
Available dates vary. Please contact Jay Schlanger at .
PEOPLE OF THE YARN
Social Action’s knit and crochet group will meet:
* January 12, 2020: 10 am - 12 noon
* February 9, 2020: 10 am - 12 noon
* March 8, 2020: 10 am - 12 noon
* April 2020 - TBD
* May 2020 - TBD
Join us as we make hats and scarves for donation to people in need, in support of the Temple's homelessness and other community outreach initiatives. We are open to all temple members, family, and friends -- anyone who wants to engage in a bit of creative tikkun olam. Beginners are welcome!
P.S. We serve coffee / tea / water and snacks. Please consider bringing your own mug or reusable bottle to help us minimize our environmental impact.
Please e-mail Jane Nichol ( ) to RSVP and to get on the email list.
The Temple Judea Green Team is a joint effort of the Social Action and Judeans for Justice committees. Our goals are to:
- Help identify and implement ways for Temple Judea to reduce its environmental impact
- Highlight sustainability, conservation, and concern for the environment as Jewish values
- Educate temple members about ways they can go green
- Engage in community efforts to create a livable planet
Some of our key accomplishments to date include:
- Becoming a signatory to We Are Still In, a declaration of support for the Paris Climate Agreement, signed by more than 3,500 governments, academic institutions, non-profit and faith-based organizations, and the private sector. Please click to see Temple Judea’s commitment.
- Expanding Temple Judea’s recycling program
- Supporting Temple Judea’s Back to Shul Shabbat with a green-themed, zero-waste dinner
- Implementing the Kiddush Cup Challenge – a recycling program to reduce the temple’s use of single use plastics, including Kiddush cups at Shabbat services
- Participating in City Plants MLK / Tu B’Shvat tree planting event
To learn more and/or join our team, please contact:
- Jane Nichol,
- Sheila Linderman,
Interested in pursuing social action on your own? Need some ideas for a Mitzvah project? Here is a list of some of our community partners.
Have questions? Want to make a suggestion? Please get in touch! You can email Jennifer Lutzky, Social Action chair, at or by clicking here: Contact Social Action
- Don't forget to come to our monthly committee meetings, and help us plan these great monthly events -- or submit your own ideas! We meet the first Wednesday of the month at 7:30pm, usually in the library or music room upstairs at the temple. Hope to see you there!